Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Two weeks

Okay, time for an update on the Peruvian side of this adventure.

Moira and I are staying in a hostel in Cusco within walking distance of the Plaza de Armas. There are a bunch of fellow travelers there, for whom the common language is usually Spanish. Breakfast there is free and it has been wonderful eating communally with people from all over the world, speaking in Spanish the whole time. We also have kitchen access whenever we want it, so we've adopted the college student diet (i.e. rice and beans) for our time in Peru in order to save some money.

We went out Saturday and Sunday nights with an Italian guy, a Colombian guy, a Swiss woman, and a Chilean woman, all of whom are in their late twenties or early thirties. They're all really lovely folks, even if they are in an older crowd than we are. Last night the two of us went out to dinner and then called it an early night, since neither of us was feeling particularly up for braving the Cusco nighttime scene (which gets really crazy).

We did, before going to dinner, meet up with my friend from the orphanage and were planning on going on a hike with him today, but Moira woke up with a sore throat and we decided to call it off. I let her sleep in when I went to the orphanage this morning, but hopefully she'll feel up for coming with me tomorrow.

Being back at Maria Salome Ferro has been great, even if it's only for a few days. A lot of the boys from last summer aren't there anymore (a lot have gone to live with family members in other parts of Peru), but there are still quite a few familiar faces. I think they're all glad to see me and we've definitely been having a lot of fun. There are a ton of other volunteers there at the moment, so the energy level is generally incredibly high. I love it, and though I'm glad to be going to Arequipa next week, there is definitely a part of me that wishes I could stay longer. Oh well, so it goes.

Anyway, today Moira and I are going to solidify our Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca plans, so that should be great. A day of travel agents and spending money, what could be more fun?

Take care all. Back in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment